History of Hemphill Foodservice, Inc.
Hemphill Foodservice, Inc. originally named Hemphill Souse and Sausage, Inc. was established as a sole proprietorship in 1946 by Clyde C. Hemphill, Sr. He owned and operated this company until 1973 at which time his son, Clyde C. Hemphill, Jr. bought the company from him. There were only two products being sold at that time. Clyde, Jr. saw a great deal of potential for these products plus the development of the business on a larger scale. He increased the area being served and the company grew and expanded. In 1982, Clyde, Jr. purchased 3.56 acres of land on Northside Drive and built a larger facility to handle the increase in employees and the amount of product being sold. He also incorporated the business and received approval from the United States Department of Agriculture to job his products to other states. In 1997, Mr. Hemphill became ill and retired from active participation in the company’s day to day operations. Leadership of the company was turned over to Mr. Jesse J. Jones, Jr. Mr. Jones was a longtime employee and was more than qualified to assume the role of chief manager. The company has continued to grow making it necessary to move to a larger facility. A plant at 295 Industrial Drive in Jackson, MS was purchased and the company moved to this present location in 2006. Mr. Jones changed the name of the company at that time to Hemphill Foodservice, Inc. as we offered many products in addition to souse and sausage. We look forward to continuing to grow and expand this locally owned business.